Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Pale Fire - Vladimir Nakobov

Before I start, I'm going to admit it: reviewing Pale Fire makes me feel like a fool. What do my prettied words mean when the whole book was against prettied words?

Rating: six stars
I. Pale Fire: a poem
I'm not a huge fan of poetry, but after this I might have to get into it. Pale Fire (poem, not book) was beautiful, and I bristled when, on going back to the introduction (which was blissfully unaware of the evident irony), called Pale Fire "a slightly unfortunate interruption". Well, I felt the introduction was "a slightly unfortunate interruption", so I stopped reading right there (it was boring, anyway).

The poem was beautiful: full of sad, sweet humour, and a confessional piece about the events leading up to his daughter's suicide ("she always nursed a small mad hope"-wonderful phrasing; the poem is full of this sort of turn of phrase). This canto, canto two, feels the most fulfilled out of all

Pale Fire was indeed "engazhay and compelling", and I wish Nakobov wrote more poetry.

Rating: six stars

II. Pale Fire: the notes
The thing about Charles Kinbote's section of Pale Fire (book, not poem) is, for the most part, it's too accurate with its facsimile of review guides:

   "Shakespeare uses this scene to give us breathing space; further, it acts as a commentary on all that        has happened."
and
   "Lines 181-182: waxwings...cicadas
    The bird of lines 1-4 and 131 is again with us. It will reappear in the ultimate line of the poem; and     another cicada, leaving its envelope behind, will sing triumphantly at lines 236-244."
are virtually indistinguishable. Apart from that, I adored Kinbote's notes. I loved the story of a friendship, political intrigue and a revolution, and how it tied together. I found the enigmatic lines at the end with talk of
make me see the book in a whole new light. It was great.

Rating: five and a half stars

No comments:

Post a Comment