Saturday, January 24, 2015

Dreams of Sleeping Past (Midday): On Superhero Movies

Superhero movies bore me. That's not to say they're unworthy of being Art or Culture or whatever the term is today (god knows I don't judge on that-in my pantheon of good stuff, an obscure children's fantasy rubs shoulders with Pale Fire, a dramedy-musical with Wes Anderson): I've just never watched a superhero movie without falling asleep.


That's not to say I haven't tried-invariably whenever I hear about the new MCU/DC/X-Men film, I get excited. Hot dudes in tights! Explosions! Jokes! What could be better? A whole lot, apparently.
Like sleeping, or resting your eyes, or eating a hot dog.

I think it's the repetitiveness of the genre-in, say, a dramedy, there's more choice. Is the wife going to die? Maybe. Probably not, but to my knowledge, a major character has never died in a superhero film (I've tried watching a lot of them, I now understand their plots. It's great).

It's weird though. I'm a fan of (some) comics, and even if I enjoy the comic, I just can't get into the film. I don't have any weird "The Book Was Better Than The Film" hangups most of the time, I just don't seem to be able to get into superhero films.

No comments:

Post a Comment