We all know that there is a contingent among those who consider themselves cultured who believe that certain styles, genres, mediums and the like are somehow 'less worthy' of being literary (I'm talking specifically about the narrative form right now-I have even less expertise in the fine arts than I do in the narrative form!). There has, however, been a kickback recently against this snobbery, to the point that Slate's Music Club declared "bragging about omnivorousness has become its own kind of snobbery". Honestly, I find this snobbery (if it can even be called that) far preferable to the old kind of snobbery, which I feel was based in classist assumptions of low and high culture.
I forgot to mention this at the time, but my New Year's Resolution is to post 100 blogposts this year, which is both over 5x more than I did last year, and me posting every 3.65 days. So expect far more posts this year!
Does anyone else find the rapey-ness of Alan Moor's work disturbing? I actually had to abort my reading of Watchmen due to finding it too problematic - not that I was overly enjoying it anyway-I was finding it a slog and, essentially, un-fun. I know it's important and such, but good god To Kill A Mockingbird was much more culturally important and fun. In case anyone doesn't like my criteria of media having to be fun, I find enjoyment is critical to my enjoyment of media.
And now, I leave you with the immortal words of Kermit the Frog, "write your own ending".
No comments:
Post a Comment