[This book is part of my 30 Day Book Challenge - a book that reminds you of somewhere]
I don't remember much of Lyra's Oxford no matter the different techniques I try (so far I've tried prenatal and tantric yoga, fasting and Ouija). I can't imagine I had a particularly high opinion of it, unless it laid off the religious stuff (I felt that it deteriorated in quality as it went along-much the same way I felt with The Chronicles of Narnia, though with Chronicles it was just that it became boring-too much seafaring-and with His Dark Materials it was its preachiness).
What I do remember of it has much to do with where I read it-at my grandfather's house in Cumbria. It's not near to me, Cumbria, and to get there you have to drive for eight hours. You have to drive through motorways, mountains and McDonald's to get there. Once you are there, it's cold and isolated (above the highest town in England, in fact). The wind rattles every door in the house. The mattresses are lumpy and uncomfortable.
But- there is one blessing in all this. In the guest room there is a chest. In the chest is a literal tonne of books, Lyra's Oxford, The Wind in the Willows and a lot of back issues of 2000AD. Probably other books too, and maybe some marijuana. I can't remember.
Anyway- about the book. Who cares? It was okay, I guess. I don't remember at all. That's not a good thing. Probably a boring book.
Rating: five out of six for the memories. Two out of six for the book.
No comments:
Post a Comment