Thursday, July 10, 2014

iZombie - Chris Roberson & Mike Allerd

[This review is part of my 30 Day Challenge - a book that made you laugh out load]

[This is a review of the entire series]

iZombie is a quirky supernatural romp, that had me laughing at several points - especially the introduction of Spot/Scott as a wereterrier. It starts off with the introduction of Gwendylon "Gwen" Dylan (and yes, I'm fairly sure that is meant to be an awful pun-I was hoping that would be brought up at some point, but it was just taken at face value).

The first thing I noticed while searching for a sample image in the comic is that the art is so diverse-and there's only one artist. Allerd imitated early cartoons, early comics (Harvey-type and superheroes), and I'm not sure what the other influence is.




The story is interesting, but could have done with a little more time-no fault of Roberson, as it got cancelled pretty early on in its run-but perhaps the introduction of Lovecraftian Beings could have been paced better-it's first mentioned, briefly, in the early chapters of the first book, and is never explained fully.

I liked the characters, and Roberson's mythos a lot. I felt that both of the love stories could have done with more time spent on them, but the characters had potential-which is saying something, seeing as there was so much going on in the plot department. The mythos was what got me stuck to the book. I wanted to learn more about all of the races-especially the Old Ones analogue, who never really got the chance to shine with iZombie's strange humour and twists like the rest of the races.

Rating: four out of six stars (very good)

No comments:

Post a Comment