[This review is part of my 30 Day Book Challenge - a comfort read]
While I'm tempted to say Fire & Hemlock as my comfort read just for the laziness, I have to admit a better comfort read is Fangirl. Fangirl is a short and sweet read, and it quickly drags you into its world, where sweetness reigns and struggle is rarely seen.
Fangirl's biggest flaw is lacking conflict. I mean, there's the conflict between Cath and her social anxiety, but it's hardly the worst thing in the world. When you compare it to the blossoming romance between Cath and Levi, it seems inconsequential. In fact, it's the kind of movie anxiety that is fixed via romance (which is exactly what happens). It's fun to romp around in that kind of book.
However, one of the best parts of Fangirl is its sense of humour. Cath's full name is Cather-her twin? Wren. Cather Wren. This is actually one of the best naming puns I have ever heard.
The other great part of Fangirl is its characters. The unfamiliar, new aminosity between Cath and Wren. The familiar, old aminosity between Cath and her mother. The fresh acquaintancship between Wren and her mother. The burgeoning romance between Cath and Levi. The unconventional friendship between Cath and Reagan.
Rating: three star out of six
No comments:
Post a Comment