Sunday, April 27, 2014

Daytripper - Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá

Daytripper is a book that starts off quite simply and, to be honest, it ends simply. It's about Brás, an obituary writer turned author, and the cast of characters that make up his life; Ana, Jorge, his parents, his son, his dog. I'm probably understating it a lot.



The art, as you can see, is pretty gorgeous, and the story lives up to it. It's pretty gimmicky, with Brás dying at the end of each issue, but while you're reading it, it never comes off too gimmicky. It just comes off pretty great.

Brás does come off pretty whiny at the start, but as the story matures... well, he matures too. He goes from a whiny twenty something to an erudite grandfather. His family matures too-his son from a newborn baby to a father himself, his wife from a fresh-faced woman to a supportive grandmother.

Daytripper is simple and relies on archtypes, but beautiful in its simplicity. The one problem I have with it? Issue #7, which is just... really confusing and out of character for Jorge. I won't spoil it, as it would be okay as a stand alone, and Moon and Bá do a great job at constructing  an appropriate atmosphere, but I will be skipping it in rereads.

Rating: Five and a half stars out of six (with half a star taken away for Issue #7).


No comments:

Post a Comment